July 17, 2009, Newsletter Issue #175: The Different Surfaces Of Photo Papers

Tip of the Week

DataBazaar.com Tip: If you’ve been looking at a variety of different photo papers, you’re well aware that there are many different types to choose from. Photo papers are available in a variety of surfaces, including glossy, semiglossy, matte and luster. Wondering what the difference is?

Glossy or semiglossy papers refer to those photo papers which have a smooth sheen texture in photos. Glossy photo papers tend to have an ultra smooth finish, while semiglossy photo papers have a moderately smooth finish. The higher end premium photo papers tend to have a 10 mil thickness or more. Professional quality papers have a coated surface.

Matte photo papers are the opposite of glossy and semiglossy photo papers in that they lack any sheen whatsoever. These papers are equally suitable for photographs, but give a flat, non-reflective look for photographers and consumers who prefer that type of appearance.

Luster photo papers fall in the middle in glossiness. They don’t quite have the high level of reflectivity of glossy papers and they’re not completely flat like a matte paper. This type of photo paper is popular with wedding photographers and portrait photographers.

About LifeTips

Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.

Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Printer Ink Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
George Sayour